Wednesday 17 April 2013

Problems of the First World......

I have to admit: at times I find myself stuck in the "first world problem" syndrome.  I find myself mercilessly complaining and bemoaning to almost anyone who will listen about problems that most people in this country would give anything to have.  The day we found out that Tony had died, the biggest problem I had that day is that the store wasn't carrying Dill flavored hummus chips, Helman's Mayonnaise, or macaroni and cheese.  Forgetting the fact that I actually had the money to purchase these items, which are not cheap, I was grousing about this the entire afternoon.  Lately, it's been my house.  This year, the rainy season has been brutal.  The rain comes down in cold, amassing torrents, sometimes for hours on end.  People have lost their houses, and some have even lost their lives.  And I'm getting upset because, for the past two days, the groundsman has said that he is going to fix some minor water damage to my walls but hasn't done it as of yet.  Forgetting the fact that I live in a house whose living room is bigger than most people's entire houses, I'm focusing on the imperfect spots on my wall.

One of the many gifts my patients give to me is perspective.  For starters, all I have to do is spend a couple of hours there and the self pity is knocked right out of me.  But apart from that, despite their incredibly difficult circumstances, the patients are always happy to receive visitors.  They find such incredible joy and pleasure in the smallest of things.  A small bottle of shampoo, or a toothbrush brings a smile.  A loving embrace or touch brings tears to their eyes.  An improvised dance or burst of song gets them laughing and clapping.  And their joy is contagious.  Through their joy, I find myself experiencing joy as well.  It pains me that the hospital ministry is one of the most untouched ministries, because the hospital holds the most amazing gems of humanity.  Their stories truly are incredible.  The love we share is something unlike I have ever experienced.  I don't consider myself superior in any way.  Rather, I am grateful my patients accept me and love me, as broken as I am.  In the past, I have bee called an "angel".  What a lot of people fail to realize is that the miracles I share with my patients are completely mutual.  We help and love and take care of each other.  That's how it works.  Sharing God's love is never one sided.  We share God's love with those who need it, and trust that God will share His love, wisdom and truth to us through those with whom we share His love.  It's a beautiful, glorious,. never ending process that has no beginning and no end.


No comments:

Post a Comment